Tuesday 9 April 2013

Distress paints Background and Tutorial By Sue Butler

Sue was one of our winners on the blog competition for March. She has kindly shared with us how to create the card she won with.

"Hello Everyone.
This is a long post!  But hang in there I think it is worth it.
 I have a wonderful Local Stamp/Scrapbooking Shop called 'Scottie Crafts' and last month they held a competition.... to make a creation using a technique/product from the shop, well I was in for this, as I had just purchased the distress paints and Wendy had demonstrated a technique on how to use them with a 3d Spellbinders Embossabilities.

I did not have the 3d type folder but I did have a m-bossability folder.
The distress paints I used were Frayed Burlap, Salty Ocean, and Broken China.

The first step was to brayer up my folder with these colours.
.
I dabbed them on my mat side by side, then used my brayer to ink the folder and run it through the e-bosser. 
The result was NOT what I was expecting, I tried again, thinking I used the wrong side but the same thing happened, the paint was not transferring evenly, then I thought perhaps it was because I did not have the 3d Folder.
I gave up on this technique, and instead I used the inked brayer directly on top of the embossed card-stock.  Aha....this is the effect I was looking for.
Next step is to use distress inks .

It looks dark here because I took the photo immediately after inking, as you all know it does dry to a lighter shade. 

 

I applied some antique linen distress paint randomly over the Background. 


Inking the lace.


I cut a frame on my cricut and inked up in the same hues, the bird was also inked up using distress stains and glossy accents applied. 


The heart is cut out of corrugated cardboard.


And at last you see the completed card.
You will notice that I did not use the lace in my tutorial, I felt it was too heavy when I looked at the card, so I changed it to this one, which was inked the same way. 
  
The photo does not do it justice I'm afraid.


Thank you so much Sue for sharing the techniques on your gorgeous card with us.


1 comment :

  1. It looks fabulous! Love the painted embossed background. K

    ReplyDelete