Sunday 2 February 2014

Pocket Scrapbooking - One Mum's First Attempt by Paula


Hi Everyone!This is my first attempt at pocket scapbooking. As a mum with a baby and a newbie to scrapbooking I wanted to see how easy and fast the pocket scrapbooking could be...but I also wanted to try out some of my new goodies so I thought I'd keep it simple but add a few embellishments and details. See below for step by step instructions on how I did the few bits and pieces of embellishing that I did. 


Choosing photos

Laying out all patterned cards

Selecting from plain cards to balance 

The basic spread with no fancy stuff yet
First I will tell you about my basic process of getting started. I managed to get my baby asleep in the cot (a minor miracle I tell you!) Great a little bit of time to myself to scrap but I had to work fast because I knew she'd wake! No time for a lot of thought and organisation but that's what's great about pocket scrapbooking. I randomly selected one of the pockets then slotted in four photos along the top and bottom looking for a general theme of 'new baby' but also that the colours and moods of the photos related.

I laid out one of each kind of vertical journal card that would fit in to the remaining four smaller pockets through the centre of my layout then made sure I was left with four that toned together, matched the sentiment of the photos and had two patterned, two plainer cards. Once I had made the decision that was the hard part done the rest was gravy, getting to play with the Cuttlebug, Couture Creations dies and stamps and a few bits of flair.

Once I had the basic arrangement sorted I looked for ways to add something. You totally don't have  to but I  like ...totally couldn't resist. I used the Couture Creations Scallop Circle nesting dies to cut shapes from the journaling cards themselves as I realized this was the best way to get colour matches for the palette of colours I was using. Other card would be more tricky to 
tone in.


 In the next four steps I had some fun with stamping the diecut shapes using Couture Creations stamps, Doily Collection and Ranger Archival Ink in coffee. I felt the brown would tone in with the beige shades in the We R Memory Keepers journaling cards. (I was using the  set of cards called Captured. ) I stamped directly on the journal card then taped the cut out over top of the stamped image. 

Finally I added a few more embellishments in the form of heart shaped sugardots from Prima Anna Marie and Speech Bubble wood embellishments  from Studio Callico. And voila, not only my first pocket scrapbook page but my first scrapbook page with any kind of flair. Easy peasy pudding and pie! Pocket Scrapbooking you have a new devotee. (and if you're wondering...the baby only woke once! Yay!)


1 comment :